Main course page
To view this course you will need to firstly register on Open Essex and then enrol on the course.
Once you have read this page, to unlock the rest of the content please complete the pre-course survey questionnaire.
Welcome to the University Preparation Programme, an online short course made up of six modules. Exploring a range of both study skills and higher education modules, the programme is designed to support you in your current learning, as well as helping you to make a successful application and transition to university.
We hope this course will:
- provide you with information, resources, and tips to consider when choosing your degree and where to study
- ease any uncertainty that you may have about the university application process
- inform you about what you need to include in your application and personal statement
- develop a range of skills required for success in higher education
- help you to become a more confident and effective learner, to aid your current and future studies
What topics are covered?
The programme will cover the following topics:
- Independent learning
- Academic argument
- Revision skills
- Applying to higher education
- Student finance and budgeting
- Student life and transition to university
Each topic will be broken down into sub-activities, including pre-lecture readings and warm-up activities, mini lectures and presentations and post-lecture tasks to test and apply your knowledge. Each module will also include extra activities and resources to extend your learning.
How will the course work?
Before starting the course please complete our pre-course survey questionnaire. The questionnaire will take less than 5 minutes to complete, and once you have answered all of the questions, you will unlock the remainder of the programme.
You can work through the topics at your own pace and in any order you wish to, but we encourage you to complete as much as you can. Feel free to skip some activities if you wish, however if you do complete sections 1-3 in each module, you will receive a certificate of completion. Whilst you make your way through the programme, you are welcome to contact current Essex staff and students, to ask any questions you may have, using our Unibuddy platform: www.essex.ac.uk/life/chat.
If you have any problems creating an account or accessing the course, please email email@example.com.